Chapter Three

Encounter


Ebert Gausel: June 1937

On the next Thursday, I was returning to my office after a meeting at Amt. IV when, quite by chance, I saw her again. As I passed the English Teahouse, I saw a large car pull up in front of the entrance. A young woman and an old man climbed from the car. My heart skipped a beat as I realized it was the Princess. I stood entranced and watched as they went in.

I had watched with frustration for the rest of the evening as she had danced with stranger after stranger. I had snatched a few words with her during a break. She had been friendly, but she was unable to really talk as she was surrounded by a press of would be admirers. Finally, when Adalheid had had enough, I was dragged away. I had been unable to talk with the Princess again. I had played ‘what if’ games with myself ever since, and had simply not been able to get that fascinating girl out of my mind.

I stood on the curb opposite the teahouse and reflected on what to do. I was ridiculously captivated by her, but who would not be? She was an exceptionally attractive girl. Yet, I also had the impression she had enjoyed herself as well. There had been a strong hint of something more than mere politeness from her. I didn't want to leave it there, but I was not sure of the best approach. I did not want to ruin things by acting too hastily, but after a moment of anguish, I decided I might never get another chance to speak to her. I had nothing to loose, so I crossed the road and went into the teahouse.

The tearoom was almost empty. The Princess and the old man were seated at a table near the front window. With my heart beating like a kettledrum, I went straight across to them. ‘Good morning.’

Two pairs of eyes looked up at me: the older looked surprised and then manifested an apparent displeasure or perhaps distaste; the younger registered similar surprise and then smiled warmly. ‘Oh, hello Ebert.’

I felt a warm surge of pleasure at the thought she had troubled to remember my name.

‘Yes Princess, Ebert Gausel.’

‘I didn't realize you were in the SS, Ebert.’

‘Yes, I am an old hand, I joined in '31.’

‘Really?’

Her father, for father he no doubt was, interrupted. He clearly wanted to be rid of me. ‘Perhaps, if Herr Gausel would like to state his business, we can order our tea.’

She looked uneasily at her father before looking back to me, ‘Please go on, Ebert.’

I was furious. How dare he treat me with such contempt. I clicked my heels and bowed to the old man. ‘I am sorry for any inconvenience to you sir. Princess, I apologize, I didn't mean to interrupt, I just wanted to say sorry for my prank last Friday night. Good day sir, goodbye Princess.’

Seething, I turned and strode out through the door without looking back.

Out on the street I was stopped by a call, ‘Ebert!’

I turned back. She stood as if unsure she had done the right thing in following me out. My anger drifted away like gossamer on the wind, ‘Princess?’

She came closer almost hesitantly, ‘I am sorry about my father, he is not normally so rude.’

I smiled. For her I was willing to forgive anyone's transgressions. ‘He must feel obliged to protect you from the attentions of any number of rogues.’

‘Yes, he thinks so,’ she gazed through the window towards her father before looking at me, ‘I enjoyed dancing with you, Ebert.’

‘It was my pleasure.’

The next was almost hesitant, ‘Would you like to take me dancing?’

I felt a surge of jubilation, ‘I would love to, but when?’

‘Tomorrow, can we go tomorrow night?’

‘Of course, I would love to.’

She smiled, unexpectedly excited, ‘How fun! Pick me up at the Brunnenstadt post office at seven.’

She stepped forward and kissed my cheek, ‘Now I must go and sooth Daddy's ruffled feathers.’

She turned and left me, my cheek burning from the gentle caress of her lips, standing on the street.


I finished work on time and rushed back to the barracks to change. After some deliberation I threw an extra change of clothes into a bag and put that together with some walking boots in my car's trunk.

After an hour-long drive from Munich I arrived in Brunnenstadt. I had not been into the town before and I was impressed. It had clearly been a wealthy town, its main streets lined with imposing Baroque and Rococo limestone houses and shops. The Brunnenstadt Post Office was a lovely nineteenth century sandstone building in Baroque style. I arrived only a bare ten minutes early and parked my car around the corner. I strolled as casually as I could around to the front of the building. It was as I waited on the stairs I realized how nervous I was. I had not experienced anything like that level of anxiety over an assignation since my teens.

It seemed like an age that I waited and I happened to be looking in the wrong direction when she arrived. I had no idea where she would come from. ‘Ebert?’

I almost jumped with surprise. She was wearing the same blue gown she had worn at the dance the week before, and like then she was simply stunning. In an oddly charming manner she was holding her shoes in her hand, ‘Princess,’ I said

She smiled a half smile, ‘You can't call me Princess all the time, use Katharina instead.’

‘Katharina?’

‘My second name, it seems less pompous and more German than Victoria. My daddy calls me Victoria Chesterfield, but I prefer Katharina von Brunnenstadt.’

‘You look beautiful whatever you want to be called.’

She didn't seem to be entirely amused with the compliment. She bent to pull on one of her shoes, ‘So, are you going to take me dancing?’

‘Yes, I would love to, but dinner first?’

I watched entranced as she slipped her other shoe on, before looking back up at me, ‘Yes, please.’

I led her over to my little car and held open the door. She settled herself carefully, pulling her gown clear of the door as I closed it. I hurried around, climbing behind the wheel. Before I started the motor she laid her hand on my sleeve, ‘Ebert?’

She gazed into my eyes. I felt I was loosing myself in the depths of hers, ‘Yes Katharina.’

‘Do you remember the second time we met, when you played the trick on that poor boy?’

‘How could I not?’

‘You teased me and laughed at me, and perhaps with me.’

‘Yes, I didn't offend you, did I?’

‘No, quite the opposite, but the point was that you hadn't realized my status.’

‘No, I hadn't.’

‘And if you had, would you have behaved that way?’

‘No, probably not, but why?’

‘You were relaxed... and funny and fun, because you thought I was simply a girl.’

‘Not just a girl! A very beautiful girl, but also your reaction to me the first time we met had me intrigued.’

‘I see, but you weren't at all deferential, you felt comfortable enough to laugh at me.’

‘Yes, I did.’

‘Would it be too much to ask you to forget I am a princess, to forget my wealth and rank for a night and just take Katharina, a girl from Brunnenstadt, out dancing?’

‘Are you sure?’

‘Yes, I enjoyed those few moments on that dance floor and I would like to do it again.’

I smiled wickedly, ‘So you want me to forget you are a rich, beautiful princess?’

‘Yes.’

‘I am sorry it is just too hard, we are going to have to find a paper bag for you to wear over your head. Then I might have a chance.’

‘Don't be ridiculous,’ for a moment I thought I had gone too far, but then she smiled playfully, ‘a pillowcase is much less likely to blow off in the car.’

She laughed gleefully, a magic sound that set my heart racing, ‘Ebi Gausel, you horrible man, take me to Munich for dinner and dancing this instant.’


I knocked the car into neutral and coasted to a halt on the verge of the road. We had literally danced the night away and now in the early hours I was driving her home. Katharina, half asleep and resting her head contentedly on my shoulder, mumbled. ‘Why have we stopped?’

‘Look at the sky, the sun is about to come up.’

I had stopped on the lip of the Brunnen Valley. Now I had shut off the motor, there was no sound except the click of cooling metal from the car and very faintly in the distance a dog barking. Below us lay a sea of early morning mist. The spire of a church standing like some rock in the sea, the only sign that below lay a town, just beginning to stir. Katharina sat up and stretched before resting her head back on my shoulder. As we sat and watched, a sliver of silver shone through the mist on the far side of the valley. Surprisingly quickly it grew and became a pale disk shining through the mist. Katharina whispered, ‘I wanted last night to never end. But this dawning of a new day, with you, is magical too.’

Suddenly the mist parted and the golden glory of the sun caused us to turn our faces from the view. Her eyes, bluer than the sky above, shone with joy as they gazed into mine. I leant forward and gently kissed her lips, before pulling away. She sat with her eyes closed and her lips slightly parted. I gently kissed those wonderful lips again. This time she responded, at first hesitantly kissing me back, but then she brought her hand up to my cheek and began passionately kissing me. Then sighing, she leant back against the seat. I began a gentle shower of kisses across her forehead, her eyelids, her cheeks, lingering over her lips, before gently caressing the soft curve of her throat with my lips. With an inward groan, I kissed her once more on the cheek before sitting up. For an instant she lay there as if spellbound, then her eyelids fluttered open, ‘Ebi?’

I caressed her face with my fingertip, drawing it delicately across her cheek, ‘I might have forgotten you are a Princess, but I can't forget you’re just a girl, it's time to take you home.’

She took my hand in both of hers and gently kissed it before hugging it to her chest. ‘I think you are the most wonderful man I have ever met.’

‘Har, har, me hearties, Cap'n Gausel's ploy is working, the beautiful princess is beginning to trust him.’

‘Oh, stop it!’

I kissed her cheek and started the car.

My little car crept through the mist that still lay over the town. It was quiet and still, apart from a few early risers. Following Katharina's directions, I drove through the square before turning off the main road. Taking this side road out of town, we soon came to an impressive double wrought iron gate that stood open. To both sides a high stone wall receded out of sight into the mist. I drove through, past a gatekeeper's lodge and followed the road. Finally, as I came to the top of a rise, the mist lifted and I caught sight of Katharina's home. A magnificent domed and turreted fairytale palace, stood shining in the morning light. In the forecourt two huge fountains danced and splashed a fluid poetry of foam.

I brought the car to another halt. ‘I am afraid we are going to need that pillowcase again.’

Katharina chuckled, ‘Why?’

‘All of a sudden I am finding it hard to forget you are a rich, beautiful princess.’

‘You are wicked, drop me by the front stairs.’

Despite the early hour a footman had Katharina's door open almost before the car came to a halt. She turned as if to climb out, but suddenly turning back, ‘Wait, Ebi, don't come in now. Daddy will be cross and it will be easier if you aren't here.’

I felt momentary alarm, ‘When will I see you again?’

‘Tonight, will you take me dancing again tonight?’

‘I would love to.’

‘Good.’

She leant over and gave me a lingering kiss, then she laughed and slipped out of the car. ‘Pick me up here, at seven. Off you go, but don't forget to bring a pillowcase for tonight!’

She sprang up a few steps before turning to blow me a kiss. I started the car and drove away. She was still waving as I drove over the rise in the road and out of sight.


She was on the stairs when I pulled my little Opel to a halt. I was about to get out to open the door for Katharina, but a footman materialized and beat me to it. She slipped into the seat and leaned over to kiss my cheek, ‘Hello, Ebi.’

‘Hello Princess.’

‘Ebi, you promised.’

‘Did I? Oh I am sorry, no pillowcase you see.’

She laughed, ‘Ebi.’

I went on, trying to keep a straight face, ‘You see, driving up to this wonderful building it becomes impossible to forget I am picking up a princess, but I entirely forgot a pillowcase or a flour bag even.’

I reached behind my seat and handed her a small tissue paper wrapped object, ‘Perhaps this will do the trick?’

She tore it open, ‘Ebi, it’s lovely.’

She shook out a blue, hand-painted, Chinese-silk, scarf I had found in Munich. I wanted to bring her a present, but had struggled to think of something. How does a person on wages pick a present for an heiress? The solution was simple, something pretty, unusual, or quirky, something not necessarily expensive but right for the moment. Laughing she draped the scarf lightly over her face, ‘There does that do?’

‘Katharina, I recognize you now, how nice to see you.’

Lifting the edge of the silk, she leaned forward kissing my lips.

No comments:

Post a Comment